My Family

My Family

Monday, August 27, 2012

New breakfasts

With the start of school, I was determined to have Brody eat a better breakfast than poptarts.  I mean yes they are very yummy, I remember eating chocolate ones like crazy when I was a kid, and totally full of nutrition right?  I assumed since I am home I should get up earlier and make sure he has a good breakfast.  So, I started a couple of weeks before trying out new recipes - some received thumbs up, some not so good (but really were pretty good).

The first recipe were these Cinnamon crescent rolls.  Very simple.

Here you can find the recipe detailed out if you want it.


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Place the unrolled and separate crescent rolls on an un greased rimmed cookie sheet(one with sides).
Filling
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and cinnamon
Assemble
  1. Evenly spread the cinnamon butter over the crescent rolls and roll up.
  2. Place tip side down on the cookie sheet.
  3. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Glaze
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
  2. Place in a zip lock bag and snip a tiny corner off.
  3. Drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon rolls.


#2 were these Birds Nest.  I really thought the boys (at least Brody) would like them.  But they didn't.  I thought they were ok.  I didn't use as many eggs as it called for, which is probably what was wrong with them.

You can find the detailed recipe here.

1 24 oz. bag of shredded hash browns
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbs oil (I use olive oil)
1/3 cup shredded cheddar
Bacon bits or 8=10 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
Eggs
Extra shredded cheddar
Muffin tin

  1. Take your bag of hash browns and mix in the salt, pepper, oil and 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
  2. Divide amongst the cups in your muffin tin, making sure to grease tin beforehand.
  3. Bake hash browns at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until toasty.
  4. Once they're finished, take them out and lower the temp of the oven to 350 degrees.
  5. Crack an egg into each of the cups
  6. Top with bacon and a sprinkle of extra cheese
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-16 minutes (or until the eggs are as firm as you like them).
  8. Slide a knife along the edges to remove from pan when cooled.

The last one were these Chocolate muffins.  They were a little too sweet for me, so of course the kids loved them.  Next time, I'll cut down on the sugar.


Here's the recipe.  It is great because you start with a basic recipe and add different ingredients to change it up.  Now I didn't use the Stevia - I just used sugar so once again that may have been why it was so sweet.

Now one of the boys' favorite breakfast food is pancakes.  However, I don't want to get up that much earlier to make them, so I made a batch of these little muffin pancakes one morning and they lasted a few days in the fridge for quick breakfasts.  They were gone so fast that I didn't get any pictures of them - sorry.

I still have several recipes I want to try, but Brody is begging for the little muffin pancakes again.


No comments:

Post a Comment