My Family

My Family

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bye Bye Baby - remodel part 1

Several months ago Brody came to us and said that he needed his room changed because it said Baby and he isn't a baby anymore.  Of course I was happy that he could read the border in his room, but not happy about changing the room.  I loved his room and it brought back so many memories of when he was little.


We were one of those parents who didn't find out the gender so we had 2 different rooms picked out.  As soon as we had Brody the work started on his room.  I still remember watching the lady paint this mural as he was only about 3 or 4 days old.  It only took her a couple of hours.




I guess I thought he would keep it forever.  I tried to convince him that we could just take the border off and it would all be fine, but he wasn't going for that.  The bedding was actually the 3rd set since he was born.  The second one was a great bargain (like $20 shipped to our house and all) we found at Macy's on one of our excursions to NY.  This sufficed for a year or so when he moved into the full bed.  Then the ever wonderful PotteryBarn quilt was purchased.  I love these things because they hold up so well.

Well, the search was on to find the next perfect bedroom and hopes that it would last for awhile.  It didn't take long for him to decide that it had to be Star Wars.  Of course Pottery Barn had the whole set but I had to really think about what I wanted because I didn't like the idea of spending a ton of money and he decide he wants to change it in a year or 2.

The first step in the room transformation was to get ready to paint - oh my!!  I was really feeling like a pro at painting since I have been doing it so much lately.

Brody even got involved in removing the wallpaper.


The last picture of the mural before I started painting over it - yes I shed a tear or two.



Now, what I wasn't prepared for was the mural and that the paint wasn't going to cover it very well.  No one told me about Kilz before I got out the electric sander and made a total mess.  I painted a coat over the mural, but you could still see the outline of the mural, so off to use the sander.


What a mess and a workout, but thankfully I put up a tarp so the dust wouldn't go too much all over the place.  It was definitely coming together and I was liking how it was looking.  Stay tuned for the final product.

1 comment:

  1. I want to cry and I'm not even Brody's momma :) Sad that he's growing up, but I can't wait to see how his big boy room turns out.

    ReplyDelete