My Family

My Family

Monday, March 12, 2012

Green smoothie???

Yeah, I know I thought it was crazy too when my good friend Clair told me about this "Green Monster".  She said her kids LOVE it and she thought my boys would drink it, so I gave it a try several months ago, but they weren't big fans.  I actually think it was the green color that threw them off.


Well, for the past several weeks I have been drinking a Green Monster every morning.  My smoothie contains:

1 frozen banana
couple of handfuls of spinach
1 cup of milk
little flax seed
about a tsp of Nutella

Blend it all in my handy Magic Bullet and I've got a whole lot of nutrition in a drink.  For some reason I don't seem to cook a lot of vegetables - I mostly cook a pasta dish or all in 1 dish so not too many sides.  If I do cook vegetables it's broccoli which Brody loves.  I thought this was a very good way for me to get a lot of nutrition.  I have been very surprised at how full I have been throughout the day - not really eating junk food, which is a great thing for me.

Since I liked that smoothie so much I thought I would experiment a little.  I have now tried a Tropical Green Smoothie which is:

coconut milk
pineapple
Greek yogurt ( I don't like this so I used a frozen banana)
coconut

This one wasn't my favorite, but I think it's because the Magic Bullet didn't blend up the coconut enough. I'll try it again soon.

For the past couple of days I have tried this one:

coconut milk
frozen banana
frozen blueberries (you could probably use fresh, but I have a lot stored in the freezer that I'm trying to use)
flax seed

This one is very good.  I have become a huge fan of coconut milk as a result and it has more calcium and less calories than 2% milk.

My mom and dad actually tried the original last night and they said it wasn't bad - all you really taste is the banana.  Now, if I could just get Trevor and Brody to drink these.

No comments:

Post a Comment