My Family

My Family

Sunday, March 11, 2012

An "almost" finished dining room

Over a month ago, I started on the major task of redoing our dining room, Read more.  I was actually shocked that I was done sanding, painting the table and walls (my dad did this part) and redoing the light fixtures in a week.  I thought this wasn't so bad.



All painted

And with new seat covers - LOVE, LOVE

The light fixtures were pretty easy - just a can of black spray paint and we had light fixtures that looked perfect for our dining room and it only cost $7 for 2 cans of black spray paint.




Once we decided on a color for the dining room, the painting was done in a day.  Now, we wanted bold and I'm pretty sure we got that.  We both love how it turned out.

My sweet daddy painting


The table seemed pretty tacky feeling when you touched it so I waited and waited hoping and thinking it would get dry.  I was scared to have anyone near it because I didn't want it messed up.

Well, after about a 3 or 4 weeks it wasn't getting much better so I had to come up with a new solution.  I had searched a few blogs and finally realized I just needed to put a Top Sealer coat on it.  My plan was to use this wonderful stuff for the table


and then spray paint a Poly coat on the chairs.  I rolled the Poly Finish above on the table but I knew it needed to be sanded since the back of the can said to apply 2-3 coats and lightly sand in between.  I was scared to sand it because I surely didn't want to ruin the paint job I had done.  Thankfully my dad was over that day and he had no problem sanding it.  A couple more coats of the Poly Finish and the table was perfect.  It feels great.  I started out using a spray for the chairs, but it didn't feel as good so I ended up using the Poly Finish for the chairs too.  They feel great and no more tacky feeling - and they are protected.


So....  here is the before picture with the messed up brown table

And after....

Another angle



I absolutely love how the dining room has turned out so far.  We aren't completely finished with it of course - a few decorating items still needed but just trying to find that perfect look.

2 comments: