My Family

My Family

Friday, June 8, 2012

The final goodies from the garden

The week before the tropical storm hit we pulled some of our last squash from our garden - they were pretty big.  


My freezer is now filled with 4 or 5 bags of squash and the same of beans.  When we arrived home after the storm I didn't really think our corn was going to survive.  However, about 50 ears were able to be salvaged.  I was so excited to have some corn, which is one of the main reasons we wanted the garden.

My little helper helping me prepare the corn



Trying to enjoy the corn a little too soon

Finally ready to eat



Final thoughts about the garden:
  • next year may need to be a little bigger
  • don't plant the squash, zucchini, & cucumbers right by each other because one won't survive - our zucchini didn't produce anything
  • plant the rows a little further apart
  • plant more peas because Trevor LOVES them
I am very happy with our first garden and am looking forward to planting another one next year.  Yes, it can be a lot of work, but it's great to have fresh vegetables.

A few funny pictures to leave you with.  One day at lunch, I kept telling Trevor to finish up his chicken nuggets and he kept telling me he was tired.  I assumed it was a way for him to not have to eat his food.  I needed 5 more minutes to do something and then I would take him to bed.  Well, I look over and this is what I see.  I guess he really was tired.

Our little friend camped out on the back of my vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment