My Family

My Family

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A weekend away - Just for TWO!!

Since having 2 kids, it is very difficult for Jason and I to go out on a date much less take a whole weekend away. We are very fortunate to have my parents right next door or Jason's mom at the beach who are willing to watch the boys usually whenever we need them to.
Well, a few weeks ago Jason and I were finally able to get away for a much needed break. We just headed up to Savannah. Jason had played tennis in Savannah and I of course had traveled up to watch him but we had never visited the historic part. We left on a Friday afternoon and I was SO excited. We rented a little 1 bedroom apartment off VRBO.com (I love this website - we have gotten some pretty good deals off of it). We really had no big plans while there just to relax and sleep in with no kids waking up at 7AM. That was pretty exciting in and of itself.

Our front door to our apartment - our living room window is the top one on the right.


When we arrived Friday afternoon, we decided to go ahead and take a historical carriage ride. I've always wanted to take a carriage ride, but they usually seem pretty cheesy. We decided to take the group carriage ride so we didn't have to be the only audience of a private tour - it could be a little awkward. The weather was great since we were taking the tour around 6:30 or so. The tour guide was a young Savannah College Art and Design college girl. She was quite funny so it made the tour quite interesting. We found out a lot of stuff about the city so I would say the tour was worth it.
Here was our transporation for an hour.



Have you ever seen such a big boat.


Chippewa Square - this was the background in Forest Gump when he was sitting on the bench.


One of my biggest things when we travel is to find good places to eat - of course somewhere we've never been. I had done some research before leaving and then I had an app on my phone that helped as well. But I ended up asking a local of a good place on the riverfront and he suggested Tubby's. I really wanted to sit outside but as we waited for about 30 minutes for an outside table I realized that smoking was allowed outside. And let me just say that we had never seen so many smokers before. It seemed like everywhere we looked while walking around Savannah there were smokers - it was quite overwhelming. So of course, we changed the table to be inside - I was a little disappointed but I knew I would probably make a scene if we sat next to someone smoking. Really, can't they make a rule to ban smoking from all parts of the restaurant. It's really not fair that we non smokers can't enjoy the nice riverfront because of smokers.


In order to get to the river front you have to walk down these STEEP stairs.


After dinner I really wanted something sweet - I wonder where Brody gets it from - so we went to the Savannah Sweets shoppe and I was in heaven. I stocked up for the weekend.


The plan for Saturday morning was to get in line at 9:30 for the Lady and Sons restaurant (Paula Deen's). You have to make your reservation in person for that day. When we arrived the line was already wrapped around the building but we only waited about 15 minutes. Our reservation was for 2:15 so we were off to eat a small breakfast as to not spoil our BIG lunch.


The line at Lady & Sons at 9:30 just to make a reservation



We walked around the squares after breakfast (we needed to be able to work up our appetite for Paula Deen's lunch). Not that I had any doubt, but the food was DELICIOUS. Jason had the buffet so he could try all the different vegetables AND fried chicken. I had the crab cake which was VERY good. I've actually tried her crab cake recipe at home before and I do have to say they turned out pretty good but definitely not as good as the ones I had that day. Of course I had to sample the vegetables off Jason's plate and they were YUMMY!!

Our table at Lady & Sons


After that lunch we definitely had to do some major walking. We visited a couple of historic homes - one was the lady who started Girl Scouts (of course no photography allowed inside - I really don't understand why). We then ventured down to Forsyth Park which to our surprise was a very nice and huge park. It was prom time so guys and gals were EVERYWHERE taking pictures. I just loved looking at all of their dresses, and of course on some we thought "could the dress be in lower and why did your parents let you buy something so revealing? Oh well, this just made us even more thankful that we don't have a girl and have to go through that one day.

A beautiful Cathedral.

Inside the Cathedral.



Some statue in one of Savannah's many squares.



Wouldn't you just love to have a balcony like this overlooking your garden. This was the back of Juliette Gordon Low's house - the woman who founded the Girl Scouts.


I just thought this house looked neat with all of the ivy growing on it.


I would just love to live on this street - it would only cost several million.

Forsyth Park
Taking a break in one of the parks.


On Sunday we slept in - boy was that nice. We packed up and went and ate brunch. It was so hot that day so we decided to just go ahead and leave. It was such a nice weekend and was something we both needed. I'm already thinking of where to go for the next one we are able to do.

1 comment:

  1. What a great weekend! I love Savannah and Paula Deen's is soooo good. Adam swears it tastes "just like any other buffet in South Georiga!" so as you can imagine we don't get to wait in line and eat there often when we go ;)

    ReplyDelete