My Family

My Family

Monday, June 20, 2011

The start of a great vacation!!

We left Saturday for our week long vacation to Destin.  Normally around this time of year we head to Albany, GA for my grandmother's (mom's mom) family reunion.  Well, this year we weren't going to have one which is pretty sad because we have always had one as far back as I can remember.  They have ranged from the typical family reunion's where everyone brings a covered dish and the kids all play in the back - HOT HOT HOT in South GA.  Then we moved them to Red Top Mtn, a little north of Atlanta, for a few years.  This was pretty fun because all the families stayed in their own cabin and we would meet up and have dinner, go go cart racing, and boat riding.  We then moved it back to Albany, GA where my grandmother grew up.

My grandmother was 1 of 11 siblings and since there are only 2 of them left with us and no one to head up the reunion it has kind of dwindled.  Aunt Yvonne, the youngest of the siblings, and her family who are from Tennessee and Kentucky have recently been going to Destin before the reunions.  So we decided we would join them in Destin this year and have our own mini reunion.  

We have been looking forward to this trip for awhile and Brody especially.  He loves his Aunt Yvonne which he is now to call Gan (this is what all of her grandkids call her).  She has always brought him blueberries every year to the reunion and he just thinks the world of her.  She reminds me so much of my grandmother - they actually look so much a like and oh the things she says and does - it is so my grandmother.


Well, while I was off coordinating Mabry McGee's wedding - she has watched the boys several times and they love her - Jason was home packing up the car, taking the dog to the kennel and trying to feed and make sure at least Trevor got a nap before I got home at 4 so we could leave for our 5 hour journey to the panhandle.  I think I got the better end of the deal here.

It only took Brody 5 minutes of being in the car to ask when he could watch a movie and Trevor only 15 minutes to start not being so happy.  Oh what a long ride we had ahead of us.  Thank goodness I had a bag FULL of snacks and several movies to watch.  We thought we would stop in Tallahassee to get something to eat but I somehow typed Chick Fil A in my iphone wrong and it only kept giving me the CFA near Los Angeles.  Needless to say we missed the 8 CFA's in Tallahassee and there is NO WHERE to stop past there.  We kept thinking there would be something at the next exit but NO, so finally we stopped hoping something decent, but all we found was a gas station with workers eating at the picnic tables in the front thinking when we drove up - I guess we better get back to work we have customers.

Well, out came the potty seat so Trevor could pee - oh yes we are potty trained but definitely wore a pull up on this trip just in case.  Trevor was just so excited to get out of the car.  Our dinner consisted of applesauce and cheese sticks in the car - Yummy!!

The one good thing with no dinner was that we made good time.  We finally arrived in Destin around 10  EST.  We are all set for a fun week of the beach and pool AND sand.



PLENTY of sand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment