My Family

My Family

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Myrtle Beach Family Reunion - part 2

So when we weren't hanging out at the beach or the pool we were eating.  Myrtle Beach definitely has a lot of places to eat but lots of them are seafood buffets, which I am NOT a fan of.  The first night we were there, the 4 of us were trying to find somewhere to eat and in North Myrtle Beach there isn't a whole lot of places to eat close to our condo, so we had to venture out.  The direction we turned there wasn't a whole lot of choices, so as we passed a seafood buffet place I said "just turn in and we'll give it a try".  Well I walked in to see how long the wait was, which was only 5 minutes, but I couldn't stand the smell and there were buffets ALL over the place.  I was overwhelmed and as I walked out to the car to tell Jason how long the wait was, I said we have to leave, I just couldn't take it.  I know, I am crazy, but between the smell and buffets all over the place I didn't think I would make it.

Trying to decide on places to eat for 15 people is quite a task and most of them don't really care which means no one wants to make a decision.  The one request I had from Gan is fried oysters.  Three nights we headed north to Calabash, NC and ate some great seafood - Calabash style, which describes the lightly breaded way they prepare the seafood.

Our first restaurant in Calabash.  The food was mostly fried seafood.  I chose crab cakes, which were a little over cooked, but over all the food was great AND they had Dr. Pepper which is always a plus in my book.

Another plus - we all got to sit together.



After dinner we walked across the street to check out this huge knick knack store - Callahan's.  It had everything you could think of from clothes to Bacon flavored candles - which stunk by the way.  They also had these painted crabs.

We actually gave Brody permission to climb down over the rail - Trevor lost his shoe down there.

Trevor loved to give Jeffery a hard time about his Rocky Top hat.  Jeffery is a student at UT - poor thing.  Trevor would always give him the Chomp Chomp - bringing him up right.

Of course I scoped out a great ice cream place across the street, which was yummy.


On days that Trevor didn't get a nap in the room, he would pass out in the car on the way to the restaurant.  A couple of nights he would just tell us in the car - "I'm tired I need to close my eyes".

He fell asleep in my arms while shopping at the outlets and as mom carried him to papa, he lost a flip flop.  So we retraced her steps but couldn't find it so he got a new pair of flip flops.


One night after a game of wiffle ball on the beach in the rain, we walked down the street to Main St and got some ice cream.  Someone really enjoyed his.


There was also a little carnival right next to our condo, so of course my boys couldn't wait to ride a couple of rides.  Even though it was rainy, they still were able to ride and had a blast.





A vacation isn't complete without HOT Krispy Kreme donuts.

To Calabash for the 2nd time to eat at The Boundary House.  Reservations are usually booked 1-2 weeks out.  We put our name on the list and they said it would be about 1.2 hour wait.  We decided to wait it out and thankfully it was only about a 30 min wait AND we all got to sit together.  The food was very good and it wasn't all fried, so a big plus.


Back to Calabash to eat at Ellas.  Check out Trevor - asleep again.


We decided on Ella's so Samantha and Rachel could eat crab legs.

Needless to say we ate very well while we were gone, but I was done with fried seafood for awhile.


One evening we headed down to the Boardwalk in Myrtle Beach - we were staying about 30 min north.  I figured we should at least see what all the boardwalk talk is about.


We even saw Elvis - it wasn't his best night.

The Skywheel - which is one of the tallest ferris wheels and has enclosed gondolas.  However, no one wanted to ride it.

My cousin, Jeff and his family.

Annie and Elizabeth.  This is Gan's daughter Janet's daughter in law and daughter.





The boardwalk wasn't bad but the street next to it felt like we were in a Spring Break area.  I felt so gross after walking that strip.  The boys wanted to go into the Ripley's but this was the closest they were getting to it.

Needless to say we can now say that we saw the boardwalk but we don't have any desire to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment