My Family

My Family

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A scrape here and a scrape there

You never appreciate what you have until it is taken away from you.  This is the lesson I have learned over the past 4 years.  For about 15 years I have worn contacts and it was wonderful.  I never seemed to have any issues but always a little chicken to get lasik because I thought why mess up a good thing.

Well, about 9 years ago, Jason and I were in an airport and an opthamologist asked me if my eyes were always that red - well yeah - I thought it was normal.  He told me I should really see an opthamologist when I got home.  Well, of course I didn't think too much about it UNTIL about 4 years ago when I no longer could wear my contacts.  It happened to be about 5 months after Brody was born.  Since I couldn't seem to wear contacts anymore I thought well why not go ahead and get lasik.  Well, that's what I thought!!  

Dr. Chokshi's office had other plans.  After about 30-40 visits later, visits to Mayo, DROPS, DROPS, DROPS, and my tear ducts plugged, 2 weeks ago I had some "nodules" (bumps) on my right eye scraped off.  Yes, scraped with a razor but I was HIGHLY sedated (thank you Jesus). 

The pain that night after surgery was UNBELIEVABLE and I was thinking what in the world did I just do.  When I went in the next morning, my eye was so swollen and I could bearly open it.  I ended up having too small of a contact lens bandage on it so once that was changed out - it felt 100% better.  

I went to the doctor yesterday for of course another check up and am happy to report that my eye is completely healed and the best news I've heard is that in about a month we will be able to try contacts - YEAH!!!!!  I wish you could see the big smile on my face because I am so excited to think I might be able to get rid of these things.
Pre glasses (actually it was on our cruise in Oct 2008 so I was in between wearing glasses and I wasn't pregnant with Trevor yet). 


Wearing the lovely glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment