My Family

My Family

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

December in review

Since I can't seem to get caught up with my blog and I cannot stand to get behind because I fear that I miss the little things that happen every day that I really want to capture - here is all of our December / Christmas happenings.
This year I really wanted an advent calendar of some sort for Brody to be able to see how much longer until Christmas.  However, I didn't want to have to put a small gift in each box - too much work for this busy gal.  I found this great calendar from Fisher Price

He absolutely loved putting a piece of the nativity onto the scene each day.  Trevor enjoyed it too - as he would pull them out of the pockets to put in his mouth.  Of course Brody would get so upset - my OCD child where everything has it's place and it's not in Trevor's mouth!!

Brody was all excited to decorate a gingerbread house this year so this is how we started off our Christmas season.  Of course mom had to finish most of it since Brody got a little preoccupied by Dora on tv - I guess I should have turned it off.




With December in our house comes sickness - at least it seems that way for the past 2 years.  Brody came down with a fever on Sunday when we got home from SeaWorld.  Jason and I had to split the day on Monday to keep him - I went into work early and was home by noon and then Jason went off to work.  He seemed to be doing better - no fever so he went to school on Tuesday but just kind of moped around and wasn't himself.  I myself wasn't feeling too great either but hoped it would pass. 

The fever came back on Wednesday and I ended up coming home early from work with a fever as well - we were 2 sad kiddos.  Thank goodness Sara Lynn was there to babysit so I could rest.  I was really praying he would be okay for Thursday since that was his Christmas presentation and party at school.  Thursday morning he got up and of course had a fever (I did as well) and was very whiny - so no school for us - home we stayed.  He had been practicing his song and Bible verse so I was very sad that he didn't get to show what he had learned - maybe I'll get it on video one day.

I was assigned to bring cupcakes for his party so I still made them and my sweet dad took them up there.  A bunch of 3 year olds would be highly disappointed with no cupcakes to decorate.  On Friday, I let Brody decorate his own cupcake since he missed his party - yeah poor Trevor in the background not participating.  You would not want to see my house if he took part in this decorating.




Friday night was my work's Christmas party in Ponte Vedra at the owner's house.  Lots of small talk, fancy food for dinner, and presents.  This year we all got ipads - pretty exciting but we returned it to go towards our NEED for a new laptop.  We also got yummy chocolate covered popcorn, gift certificates to Fresh Market, a bakery shop, and a florist.  All very useful and can't wait to use them all.



Saturday night was our church's Christmas presentation - Winter Wonderland experience.  I unfortunately didn't get to hear much of the presentation because I had both kids with me.  Trevor wasn't feeling so good so I didn't want him to be in the nursery and get other kids sick and I THOUGHT Brody could sit through it.  After the first song, Trevor and I were out in the hallway while mom sat with Brody.  I was able to listen to Jason sing a duet and then it was just trying to entertain Trevor and eventually Brody in the hallway.

We headed over to our Family Life Center where some wonderfully talented ladies had transformed it into a Winter Wonderland experience with Santa and all.  We even met Frosty along the way.


Can't believe he actually looked at the camera.
No tears from Trevor but couldn't get a smile out of him for nothing.


Cheesing it up for the camera.



We absolutely LOVE our playroom.  It was one of the best things we did.  I can't even imagine where all the toys would be if we didn't have it.  The playroom was lacking some grown up seating so we found these great bean bags.  The boys LOVE jumping and climbing on them - what a great purchase.

The Thursday before Christmas we headed out to see Granny out at Aunt Joyce's house in Green Cove Springs - it took us almost 2 hours to get there - traffic was terrible.  We had a great meal and just spending time with them.
 The boys minus Trevor at the kid table.

 Pictures with Granny.

 4 of Granny's great grandchildren - looks like some girls are missing.

 Thank goodness Brody got a pillow pet - it was on his wish list.

 Trevor even got one too.

 On the way home we stopped by Chaffee Road and saw these great lights.  They were put to Christmas music and Brody loved it.  Trevor on the other hand slept through them.


We started what may be a new tradition this year - Christmas Eve at my mom and dad's.  Last year Christmas day seemed so rushed at my parents so we thought we would try Christmas Eve there.  I think it worked great.  We had dinner and then my mom read the Christmas story and then we opened presents.  We were able to spend quality time with them - even though we see them all the time :)

Non traditional Christmas dinner - don't worry this wasn't my plate - it was my dads!!

 2 sweet boys

 Not quite a Christmas picture but I was wondering why my shoes looked so fat and I felt a little draft.  When I got to my parent's this is what I noticed.  I guess these are going in the trash.

 My mom reading the Christmas story while Brody is reenacting the story out with parts of the Nativity scene.

 Trying to find their presents.

 A cool suitcase - it even lights up when you roll up.  Of course it was FULL of clothes from my parents.

 We reuse all sorts of boxes in our house - you know we go through plenty of these boxes at our house.


Brody helping PoPo open his presents.

 Dad got the award for the biggest present this year.  He thought he was getting a fire pit which is what the box says but once again we reuse ALL of our boxes so instead he got a Rifle stick.  If you know me I am so not a hunter and made sure to not marry one either so I was quite out of place at Gander Mtn picking this out.


Back at our house getting ready for Santa to come visit.  All dressed in their Christmas pj's


 Christmas cookies for Santa.  I hope Santa didn't get too thirsty because we forgot to leave some milk.
Off to bed the boys went without too much trouble.  Trevor never gives us problems, but Brody likes to get out of the bed multiple times but thankfully he didn't get out too many times that night.

1 comment:

  1. Feeling your pain with the sickness around Christmas...Where did you guys get those bean bags? We need them for our playroom...

    ReplyDelete