My Family

My Family

Friday, May 15, 2009

A "Wicked" Day

Tuesday, May 7 Jason and I had tickets for Wicked and I was so excited to go. We had wanted to see it in NY a couple of months ago but the tickets are so expensive up there. We also had reservations at The River Club downtown - my work gave me a gift certificate for Christmas. Jason wasn't too excited about going to eat there since we were pretty sure you needed to wear a jacket. Who knew all those plans would change by lunch time.

For lunch, my department took a lady at work out for her retirement lunch. I ALWAYS take my purse when I go out to lunch but since the company was paying I decided I'd just take my cell phone which was quite strange since I didn't even have a pocket to put it in. We had just ordered and my phone rang - it was Brody's babysitter. She said that an ambulance had just pulled up to my dad's house. Of course panic comes over me immediately not knowing what's going on. I finally got in touch with my mom at work and she said Dad had what they think was a stroke. WOW!! I was in total shock and of course floods of emotions and tears came over me. I then get a phone call from our new children's pastor explaining that the church had called dad to check on a visit that he had made the night before and they couldn't understand him at all so they called 911. Thankfully all of his vitals were great but his speech was slurred a lot. He said they were leaving for the ER. Thankfully I was right across the river and was able to meet the ambulance at the ER.

As I drove to the hospital I was in constant prayer not knowing what the outcome would be. I couldn't believe something like this could happen - he just recovered from having his prostate removed and was doing great. I arrived at the ER and wasn't sure how I was going to find him. Of course not thinking about the outbreak of Swine Flu around our country and me being pregnant walking around an ER - thankfully someone saw me and immediately asked if they could help me. They rushed me inside the ER to see if my dad had already been admitted but as they were checking I saw him being wheeled in on the stretcher. What a wierd feeling to see your dad on a stretcher. You definitely couldn't understand him which was heart breaking for me. The nurses and doctors were asking me all types of questions which I answered the best I could - just wishing my mom were there to assist. Thankfully Jason arrived shortly after and was able to listen to what the doctors said - since I don't pay attention to details much and mix things up - mom was thankful for this too since I get my lack of attention to detail from her.

They ran lots of tests on dad and determined that he had a minor stroke but it only affected the front left part of his brain which is his speech and trying to find the right words to say. They started him on blood thinner and we should see him getting better within the next 24 hours.

We constantly counted our blessings and still are for how God works and is in total control. Some people may call it a coincidence but we know who is in complete control of EVERYTHING. It's amazing to think how the church called at the RIGHT time to check on a visit that Dad had made at visitation the night before (he hasn't been to visitation in awhile). If it hadn't been for them, mom wouldn't have been home for another 4-5 hours - Isn't God good??

Well, we decided to cancel on The River Club (Jason wasn't too disappointed) but since dad was stable and just waiting on more tests and to be moved to a different room - we went ahead and went to see Wicked. Could you believe I actually had the tickets in my purse (that's so not me) - once again God was so in control. After 2 days a week of therapy for a month or 2 the doctors says he will have a full recovery. We are so thankful.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. But, I am glad that your family was being watched over. Small miracles happen all the time!!! I will pray for his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I'm really glad your dad is going to be okay. You must have been so scared.

    You're right-God is so good!!

    ReplyDelete