My Family

My Family

Friday, May 22, 2009

Potty Training - Day 1

Well, the weekend has come that I have been planning for about 2 months now - Potty Training Weekend - and it's only day 1. Brody is now about 2 1/2 years old and we tried the whole potty training thing when he was about 18 months - bought all the stuff - potty chairs ( I think I have 4 different types) and we now use the big potty with a seat on it. It went okay back then but we weren't dedicated to it - I gave up too easily. It just seemed easier to stick with the diapers then have accidents all the time.

A friend of mine told me about the 3 day potty training method that she used for her girl and said it really worked. I thought 3 days - I could at least try it. I sure didn't want this thing to drag out forever - I wanted it done and over with. Is that really too much to ask? I read the 30 page document and it's hard core - throw the diapers and pull ups away and put them in big boy pants. No leaving the house for 3 days - the focus is you and the child. You see why it took me 2 months to get prepared for this weekend. Well, we "kind of" threw the diapers away. Check out Brody throwing them in the garage (it was a brand new garbage bag so we could save them if needed).


He immediately used the potty and really liked his big boy pants - training pants (I disobeyed the method here as well - I thought I'd use the thick training pants the first day just to try and save carpet). He gets an M&M for using the potty and gets to place stickers on an Elmo chart. He absolutely loves the stickers - he ran to the potty just so he could place a sticker on the chart. Who knew he would love stickers so much.

Isn't this a fancy outfit?


Brody helping Jason try and unclog the ditch. Such a helper.


Well, the afternoon didn't go so great as the morning. We had about 4 accidents but there are towels laying all over the house to try and save the carpet. Brody at least knew he was going and really didn't like the feeling. Total for the day about 12 times making it to the potty and 4 accidents - not too bad for the first day.

2 comments:

  1. Keep us posted on this! I want to try Brock during the summer...GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the exact method we used on our daughter and it WORKED perfectly! I try to tell people, but they just looked me like I'm an idiot! LOL

    ReplyDelete