My Family

My Family

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Will it get better?

On Wednesday Brody had his 2 year doctor's appointment. Let me just say, THANK GOODNESS Jason came along. Of course Brody was starting to get a little sick (typical cold) so I didn't think it would go too well anyway so I had been trying to prep him for the past couple of days by telling him we were going to see Dr. Hardman and she was going to tell him how big he was getting. He kept repeating what I was saying so I thought that was a good sign. Boy was I wrong.

It all started when the nurse needed him to take his clothes off. He of course was NOT in the mood to do that OR stand on the scale OR lay down on the table to see how long he was OR take his underarm temperature. He screamed SO loud and tears were running. You would have thought they did the shot first. Dr. Hardman came in and he actually calmed down a little - with the help of some candy corn. She is SO wonderful. He wouldn't talk much which we had to assure her that he talks ALL the time. He finally started showing his jumping skills by jumping off the scale and of course was all over the floor. That was really grossing me out - but I wasn't about to try and change his mind.

Everything changed again when Dr. Hardman needed to listen to his chest - he DID NOT like that. It all started over again - SCREAMING and TEARS. It took all Jason had to hold him in a tight bear hug so she could look in his ears and mouth (of course she got a good look when he would scream). She said this is very normal and starts around 18 months old. He only had to get one shot but it took ALL 3 of us to hold him down for that. It wasn't so much the shot but just the fact of being held down. He didn't even scream that loud when the needle went in. So trying to let the doctor know that he knows his colors and can count to 10 went out the door at this visit.

The stats - He is in the 97th percentile in his height so he's pretty tall. I sure hope he gets better by his 3 year appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment